The Calgary Rivers Users Alliance (CRUA) was formed to improve recreational, non-motorized boating access to the Bow and Elbow Rivers in Calgary.
CRUA’s General Goals:
- To represent the interests of all boaters using the rivers of Calgary, including anglers and paddlers.
- To improve non-motorized recreational boating access to the rivers of Calgary.
- To improve working relations with City of Calgary departments, specifically Fire, Police, and Parks Departments.
- To educate City Councillors and City Departments about the importance of river recreation in Calgary and its value to the local economy.
- To work towards an overall River Management Plan.
- To clarify the intent of the City’s “Parks & Pathways Bylaw” 20M2003 as it relates to river access.
The founding members in 2016:
Angling Outfitter & Guide Association of Alberta
Alberta Whitewater Association
Calgary Kayak Club
Lazy Day Raft Rentals
Rocky Mountain Paddling Centre
Alberta River Surfing Association
Bow River Trout Foundation
Calgary River Valleys
Undercurrents Paddling Store
Alberta Slalom Canoe Kayak
Bow Waters Canoe Club
Harvie Passage Alliance
University of Calgary Outdoor Centre
From a focus on improvements to river access within Calgary, CRUA has expanded stakeholder commitment to a broader Bow River Recreational Management initiative.
The following diagram details the extent of CRUA engagement directive.