West Baker Park, Calgary River Access Strategy Development Site will undergo a complete makeover this summer.
The very popular hand launch site will be closed from late July to October 2019 to accommodate for instream work and upgrades to river access. Calgarians will not be able to access the boat launch and portions of the adjacent parking lot and regional pathway during construction. Detours on the pathway will be in place.
The paddle community are encouraged to use alternate hand launch sites at Bowness Park or Shouldice Park during construction.
The development plans for 2019:
- Add a new Emergency Services Boat Ramp upstream of the pump house.
- Expand the existing boat ramp to accommodate hand and trailered boat access.
- Add a new staging area immediately above the boat ramp.
- A walkway between the new parking lot and the staging area is also likely to be built this year.
- All parking in close proximity to the boat ramp is expected to be eliminated.
Once this year’s construction is complete West Baker Park will be open to both hand and trailered boat use.
Further details can be found on the City of Calgary River Access Strategy web page:
Sandwich Boards will be placed on site to update people on the upcoming closure. Discussions are taking place to keep the existing launch open for August Long Weekend and try to phase construction accordingly.