Harvie Passage Whitewater Park
Harvie Passage Whitewater Park is a 42 acre sports facility located in the heart of Inglewood, Calgary. Harvie 2.0 was opened in 2018 following an extensive post-flood rebuild. Many improvements have made the facility one of Calgary’s top multi-sports facilities. Canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, surfing, rafting, drift boating and floating are all activities that can be done safely (with some preparation) at the facility.
- Always wear a PDF or lifejacket
- Helmets are recommended (the concrete is hard)
- Footwear is recommended (the concrete is rough)
- Education is key – take a course! Kayak Clubs in Calgary
- Throw rope, whistle & bailing device are mandated by Transport Canada
- When in doubt, scout first
- Being on the river is recommended for strong swimmers only. The waves, currents and cold water require a new set of skills.
- Canoe/Kayak Recreation – Float down, eddy hop, surf a wave, enjoy a sunset on the river after a long day at work.
- Slalom Canoe/Kayak – Olympic – Navigate around the red or green poles as fast as you can. The slalom course was built by Alberta Slalom Canoe Kayak.
- Freestyle Canoe/Kayak – Use the whitewater features (waves/holes) to surf and do tricks
- SUP – Challenge yourself. How long can you stand on your board? Can you follow one of the kayaks around?
- Surfing – At certain water levels some of the waves are surfable. Get comfortable paddling in whitewater before you head out to the Mountain Wave at the Kananaskis.
- Drift Boat – The right channel allows for passage from the City section of the Bow, to the lower Bow. Watch out for the s-bend at drop 4.
- Rafting/Floating – Get wet and have fun. Float down the right channel on a hot day to cool off.
Right (South) Low Water Channel
- Class 2 whitewater
- The right channel is where 95% of people will participate
- Pool-drop features on the top and bottom, with a meandering middle section
- Accessible features includes a ramp mid-way and a boat ramp at the bottom
Left (North) High Water Channel
- High volume Class 3+ whitewater
- Not recommended except for experienced, prepared, whitewater paddlers
- No change rooms or direct launch access at this time
- Seasonal washroom located in Pearce Estate Park and seasonal portable toilets near the course
- Float downstream from the City
- Park and walk in ~500m from Pearce Estate Park parking lot