The Heritage Drive SE Flood Barrier Project is under construction.
Details of the project can be found at: http://www.calgary.ca/heritagefloodbarrier.
The City of Calgary consulted with river users to develop a plan to retain public access to the Bow River during construction. The following is the latest update:
The purpose of the project is to ensure that Heritage Drive SE remains passable during a Bow River flood event up to the 100-year flood. The project includes stabilization of the riverbank, construction of a flood barrier, and the last segment of the regional pathway on the west bank of the Bow River connecting downtown and the southern City limits.
The Construction Staging Plan details the changes that will take place at the Graves Bridge Parking Lot:
- TEMPORARY ACCESS to the Boat Launch during construction from the middle of July to the end of September 2019
- TEMPORARY CLOSURE of the parking lot under the Graves Bridge from the middle of July to the end of September 2019
- PERMANENT CLOSURE of the east entrance/driveway to the area from Heritage Dr. SE
- The west entrance to the area/parking lot will remain OPEN during construction
- Pathway will remain OPEN and Pathway access will be MAINTAINED
A new ramp will extend out of the parking lot, across the pathway and down the bank to the gravel bar.